Hempstead, NY - The Pride captured the doubles competition point but were swept in singles play as the Patriots of George Mason defeated Hofstra, 6-1 in a Colonial Athletic Association match at Hempstead Lake State Park Sunday evening. The Pride fell to 2-4 on the season and 0-1 in CAA play while George Mason improved to 7-2 overall and 1-1 in the CAA.
Opening the match in doubles play, George Mason's third doubles team of sophomore Taylor Sargent and Christopher Borden defeated the Pride's team of junior Pedro Gimenez and senior Tyler Allen, 8-4. But Hofstra came back to win both first and second doubles to take the doubles point. Hofstra freshman Ari Richman and sophomore Adrien Bailly defeated junior Jordan Dyke and sophomore Jimmy Davis, 9-7, at first doubles and sophomores Antonio Pena and Matthew Gemmell edged junior Scott Keaton and senior Joseph Wiggins, 9-7 at second doubles to take the early 1-0 advantage.
But the Patriots swept through the singles competition to post the victory. George Mason tied the match at third singles as senior Jorge Osuna defeated Antonio Pena, 6-3, 6-0. The Patriots took the lead at fourth singles as Scott Keaton downed Pedro Gimenez, 6-2, 4-1. Jimmy Davis topped Matthew Gemmell, 6-1, 6-1 at second singles for a 3-1 lead before Jordan Dyke defeated Ari Richman, 6-1, 7-5 at first singles for a 4-1 lead and clinch the victory. Taylor Sargent downed Adrien Bailly, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 at fifth singles and Joseph Wiggins swept senior Jason Sinkoff, 6-0, 6-0 at sixth singles to close out the contest.
The Pride will return to action next Friday, March 9 when they travel to Providence, Rhode Island to face Bryant University at the Brown University Indoor Tennis Center. Match time is 2:30 p.m.
George Mason 6, Hofstra 1
1) Ari Richman and Adrien Bailly (H) def. Jordan Dyke and Jimmy Davis (GM), 9-7
2) Antonio Pena and Matthew Gemmell (H) def. Scott Keaton and Joseph Wiggins (GM) 9-7
3) Taylor Sargent and Christopher Borden (GM) def. Pedro Gimenez and Tyler Allen (H), 8-4
1) Jordan Dyke (GM) def. Ari Richman (H), 6-1, 7-5
2) Jimmy Davis (GM) def. Matthew Gemmell (H), 6-1, 6-1
3) Jorge Osuna (GM) def. Antonio Pena (H), 6-3, 6-0
4) Scott Keaton (GM) def. Pedro Gimenez (H), 6-2, 4-1 (retired)
5) Taylor Sargent (GM) def. Adrien Bailly (H), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
6) Joseph Wiggins (GM) def. Jason Sinkoff (H), 6-0, 6-0