|MTEN: Sinkoff's Win Gives Pride A 4-3 Victory Over Sacred Heart|
New Haven, CT - Senior Jason Sinkoff's three-set victory at fifth-singles broke a 3-3 tie and gave the Hofstra Pride a 4-3 victory over the Pioneers of Sacred Heart at the Yale Tennis Center Saturday afternoon. The Hofstra win, which snapped a three-match losing slide, improves the Pride record to 3-5 on the season. Sacred Heart is now 3-3 on the season.
Hofstra took the doubles point by winning two of the three flights. At first doubles, freshman Ari Richman and sophomore Adrien Bailly defeated Chadd Sullo and Jacob Miller, 8-2. Sacred Heart's Justin Pagan and John Lopresti defeated sophomores Ryhaan Gill and Laurent Octobre, 8-5 at third doubles. But sophomores Matthew Gemmell and Antonio Pena defeated Luka Bagi and Logan Mohring, 9-8 (9-7) at second doubles to take the doubles point.
But the Pioneers won the first three singles matches at four, one and six to take a 3-1 lead. Justin Pagan defeated Adrien Bailly, 6-2, 6-1 at four, Chadd Sullo defeated Antonio Pena, 6-4, 6-1 at first singles and Luka Bagi defeated Ryhaan Gill, 6-2, 6-4 at six.
Hofstra responded by winning second singles as Ari Richman downed Jacob Miller, 6-2, 6-2, and third singles as Matthew Gemmell topped Logan Lohring, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 to tie the match at 3-3 and set up the match-winning contest at fifth singles. Sinkoff lost the first set, 7-6 going 9-7 in the tie-breaker before winning the next two sets, 6-1, 6-4 to win the match.
Hofstra returns to action on Saturday, March 17 when travel to Philadelphia to face the Dragons of Drexel in a CAA match at 2 p.m.
Hofstra 4, Sacred Heart 3
1) Ari Richman and Adrien Bailly (H) def. Chadd Sullo and Jacob Miller (SH), 8-2
2) Matthew Gemmell and Antonio Pena (H) def. Luka Bagi and Logan Mohring (SH), 9-8 (9-7)
3) Justin Pagan and John Lopresti (SH) def. Ryhaan Gill and Laurent Octobre (H), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) Chadd Sullo (SH) def. Antonio Pena (H), 6-4, 6-1
2) Ari Richman (H) def. Jacob Miller (SH), 6-2, 6-2
3) Matthew Gemmell (H) def. Logan Lohring (SH), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4) Justin Pagan (SH) def. Adrien Bailly (H), 6-2, 6-1
5) Jason Sinkoff (H) def. John Lopresti (SH), 6-7 (9-7), 6-1, 6-4
6) Luka Bagi (SH) def. Ryhaan Gill (H), 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6, 2, 3, 5