Hempstead, NY - The Pride won eight of the nine matches to record their second consecutive shutout as Hofstra posted a 7-0 victory over the Hartford Hawks in a non-conference match at the Hofstra Tennis Center Friday afternoon. Hofstra improved to 5-7 on the season while Hartford fell to 2-7.
Hofstra's only loss of the day came in the first match, at third doubles, as Hartford's Alex Holdstein and Bogdan Nedelcu defeated junior Pedro Gimenez and senior Jason Sinkoff (1-2), 8-4. But the Pride rallied and won the other two doubles matches to take the doubles point as freshman Ari Richman and sophomore Adrien Bailly (6-2) defeated Aneil Bhalla and Josh Isaacson, 9-7 at first doubles, and sophomores Matthew Gemmell and Antonio Pena (6-3) defeated Marco Neves and Michael Kennelly, 9-8 (7-2) at second doubles.
Adrien Bailly (6-6) gave the Pride a 2-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Michael Kennelly at fourth singles. Ari Richman (7-6) made it 3-0 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Aneil Bhalla at second singles and Antonio Pena (8-10) clinched the win with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Marco Neves at first singles. Matthew Gemmell (8-8) downed Josh Isaacson, 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 12-10 at third singles, senior Jason Sinkoff (7-9) defeated Alex Holdstein, 6-4, 6-4 at fifth singles, and Pedro Gimenez (3-5) battled Edgardo Ureta before winning at sixth singles, 6-2, 4-6, 10-6
Hofstra returns to action on Saturday, March 31 when travel to Newark, NJ to face the Highlanders of New Jersey Institute of Technology at 2 p.m. The match was originally scheduled to be played at Hofstra.
Hofstra (HOF) 7, Hartford (HAR) 0
1) Ari Richman and Adrien Bailly (HOF) def. Aneil Bhalla and Josh Isaacson (HAR), 9-7
2) Matthew Gemmell and Antonio Pena (HOF) def. Marco Neves and Michael Kennelly (HAR), 9-8 (7-2)
3) Alex Holdstein and Bogdan Nedelcu (HAR) def. Pedro Gimenez and Jason Sinkoff (HOF), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1) Antonio Pena (HOF) def Marco Neves (HAR), 6-3, 6-1
2) Ari Richman (HOF) def. Aneil Bhalla (HAR), 6-3, 6-1
3) Matthew Gemmell (HOF) def. Josh Isaacson (HAR), 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 12-10
4) Adrien Bailly (HOF) def. Michael Kennelly (HAR), 6-3, 6-1
5) Jason Sinkoff (HOF) def. Alex Holdstein (HAR), 6-4, 6-4
6) Pedro Gimenez (HOF) def. Edgardo Ureta (HAR), 6-2, 4-6, 10-6
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6