Hempstead, NY - Senior Jason Sinkoff's win at sixth singles clinched the match victory as the Hofstra Pride won their second consecutive match with a 4-3 victory over the Bryant Bulldogs at the Hofstra Tennis Center Saturday afternoon. The Pride, who have won four of their last five matches, improved to 7-8 on the season heading into the CAA Men's Tennis Championships on Thursday. Bryant fell to 11-6.
The Pride took a 1-0 lead after doubles, winning two of the three flights. Hofstra's Matthew Gemmell and Antonio Pena defeated Peter Hart-Callahan and Connor Crowley, 8-2 at second doubles before Bryant's Richard Sipala and Joshua Rubenstein topped Ryhaan Gill and Jason Sinkoff, 8-4 at third doubles to set up the deciding match at number one doubles. The Pride's Ari Richman and Adrien Bailly defeated Ernestor Arguello and Juan Gonzalez-Paz, 8-3 to win the doubles point.
In singles play, Bryant's Vidtih Huot tied the match at fifth singles with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Ryhaabn Gill. Arguello gave the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Matthew Gemmell at third singles. But the Pride came back with three straight wins as Antonio Pena topped Zachary Morris, 6-4, 6-4 at first singles, Ari Richman defeated Dana Parziale, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 at second singles and Sinkoff clinched the match with a 6-2, 7-6 decision over Richard Sipala at sixth singles to clinch the win, 4-2. Bryant's Juan Gonzalez-Paz defeated Adrien Bailly, 7-5, 5-7, 6-3 at fourth singles to close out the match.
The Pride will find out their conference seed and their first round opponent on Tuesday for the CAA Championship that begins on Thursday,
Hofstra 4, Bryant 3
1) Ari Richman/Adrien Bailly (H) def. Ernestor Arguello/Juan Gonzalez-Paz (B), 8-3
2) Matthew Gemmell/Antonio Pena (H) def. Peter Hart-Callahan/Connor Crowley (B), 8-2
3) Richard Sipala/Joshua Rubenstein (B) def. Ryhaan Gill/Jason Sinkoff (H), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1) Antonio Pena (H) def Zachary Morris (B), 6-4, 6-4,
2) Ari Richman (H) def. Dana Parziale (B), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3) Ernesto Arguello (B) def. Matthew Gemmell (H), 6-0, 6-3
4) Juan Gonzalez-Paz defeated Adrien Bailly, 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
5) Vidith Huot (B) def. Ryhaan Gill (H), 6-3, 6-1
6) Jason Sinkoff (H) def. Richard Sipala (B), 6-2, 7-6 (9-1)
Order of Finish: 5,3,1,2,6,4