Quakertown, PA - Paige Polizos defeated Eliabeth Morgan, 6-2, 6-2, at sixth singles in the decisive match of the contest to give Hofstra a 4-3 win over Bucknell Saturday. The win was the first for new Hofstra Director of Tennis Lauren Leo.
The Pride (1-1) jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the match by taking all three doubles matches. The team of Malissa Gilanchi and Sarah Bowen defeated Maria Cioffi/Elena Vidrascu, 8-3, at first doubles. Louise Lopez and Sonia Tsay won 8-3 over Jen Bush and Lydia Colvin at second doubles. Bianca Derrick and Polizois completed the sweep with an 8-7 win over Ellie Fraser and Christie Schneider at third doubles.
The teams alternated wins in singles play. Cioffi defeated Bowen, 6-1, 6-1, at second singles before Lopez won over Schneider, 6-2, 6-2, at fourth singles. Vidrascu and Tsay battled in a three-set match at first singles before Vidrascu prevailed, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. Gilanch won a three-set match at third singles with a 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 over Colvin. Bush evened the match at 3-3 with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Derrick at fifth singles. But Polizois had little trouble in dispatching Morgan, dropping just four games in the match.
Hofstra 4, Bucknell 3
1. Sarah Bowen/Malissa Gilanchi (H) def. Maria Cioffi/Elena Vidrascu (BU), 8-3
2. Louise Lopez/Sonia Tsay (H) def. Jen Bush/Lydia Colvin (BU), 8-3
3. Bianca Derrick/Paige Polizois (H) def. Ellie Fraser/Christie Schneider (BU), 8-7
1. Elena Vidrascu (BU) def. Sonia Tsay (H), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Maria Cioffi (BU) def. Sarah Bowen (H), 6-1, 6-1
3. Malissa Gilanchi (H) def. Lydia Colvin (BU), 6-4, 2-6, 7-6
4. Louise Lopez (H) def. Christie Schneider (BU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Jen Bush (BU) def. Bianca Derrick (H), 6-1, 6-4
6. Paige Polizois (H) def. Elizabeth Morgan (BU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish. 2, 4, 1, 3, 5, 6