Dr. James M. Shuart, a 1953 graduate, was a standout on the Football and Men’s Lacrosse teams, as well as team captain in both sports. Following graduation, Jim spent two years in the U.S. Army, and returned to the University to earn a master’s degree in 1962. He later earned a Ph.D. from New York University in 1966.
Jim joined the Hofstra administration as an admissions officer in 1959 and subsequently served in various positions until 1971. At that time he was appointed commissioner of social services for Nassau County, a post he held for three years until becoming deputy Nassau County executive. He also served as member of the Hofstra board of trustees from 1973 through 1975 and returned to the University full-time in 1975 as vice president for administrative services.
After becoming Hofstra president in 1976, he served for 25 years, retiring in 2001. Jim established a plan that focused on quality in academics and campus resources. Under his direction Hofstra became a prestigious and successful institution of higher learning, recognized by its peers through various prominent academic accreditations. The University was also recognized through other important related designations for academic support. Among these was the acceptance of our athletic program into the Colonial Athletic Association and the Atlantic 10 Football Conference.
Following his retirement in 2001, Jim remains an ardent supporter of Hofstra Athletics. He was an honoree at the 2004 Hofstra Pride Club Dinner and in 2002 saw Hofstra Stadium renamed James M. Shuart Stadium.